Pepe Habichuela

20100208_1265615343_20598-image

For the last couple of years I have been working on a project with the great Flamenco guitarist Pepe Habichuela. We first met in 2006 when we were introduced by a mutual friend, Mario Pacheco. Mario is a record producer and owner of a record label in Spain. He thought that Pepe and I might enjoy playing music together and he was right! We played the first concerts in 2007 with a group that also included Carlos Cormona on guitar and Juan Cormona and Bandolero on Cajon. There was a great feeling in the group and I loved the music we made together so we repeated the project in 2008, adding Josemi Cormona on guitar, and then again in 2009 with Pirana on Cahon. We will be announcing some more performances in Europe and the US shortly.

8 Comments

1. Bas Kuijlenburg says:

In Amsterdam I found the CD “Hands”, made from this project and bought it for my friend who is starting on the double bass and loves Spanish music too. It really is a wonderful combination and great music too. Thank you for that!

2. Michael Leccese says:

I was in Granada a couple of weeks ago and thought I caught a glimpse of a Dave Holland-Pepe Habichuela Album in the record section of Cortes Ingles. Now back in the US I cannot find this album on iTunes, although I have not yet tried record stores. Any hints on whether it is truly out and available in US?

3. caracoleo says:

Bloody hell. This is about time. I mean there are some superb flamenco artists out there who are absolute masters of their instrument. The only trouble is a lot of them seem a bit hemmed in by their art. I believe this collaboration could be the biggest thing to rock flamenco since Paco De Lucia shocked the world playing with McLaughlin and DiMeola. I have waited for something like this for many many years.

4. Hugh Roberton says:

Saw the gig last night at Cheltenham and thought it showed how music transcends. It was so good to hear the mixture of music and all around me seemed transfixed by the ensemble playing and the solos. Thanks for a great night

5. Colin Griffiths says:

I was at the 2008 gig at St. Juan de Evangelista in Madrid , a fantastic experience. I have been searching for more of the same but failed. Looking forward to similar events, especially in Madrid.

1. Steve Wingfield says:

I was at the 2008 gig in Barcelona, great fun. Looking forward to the album.

Note: The Habichuela family name is Carmona (not Cormona).

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Dave Holland

Submit your email address to subscribe to Dave's email list and get a free download of the track "Joyride" from his new album Hands with Pepe Habichuela. You may cancel your subscription at any time. Check back often as new downloads will be made available over time! (Downloads will take a couple minutes to arrive in your inbox.)